Quatech RS-485 adapter ( PCI model SSCLP-200/300)
- Move jumpers J6 and J7 so that the jumper is connecting pins 2 and 4
instead of 1 and 3. This enables the 120ohm terminating resistor. All other
jumpers should be left in the default setting (not connecting any pins).
- If your PC doesn't have a compact backplane (very common), replace the
card's short installation bracket with the included tall installation
- Turn off the PC and remove the case.
- Insert card into any empty PCI slot. Tighten the installation bracket
- Replace the PC's case and turn on the PC.
- Windows should automatically detect the new PCI device and prompt you for
the driver location. Insert the installation CD and select "install drivers automatically".
If you don't have the drivers on CD, the latest drivers can be downloaded
from Quatech or
from Envipcotech.com: Windows
95/98/ME drivers, Windows
XP/2000 drivers (ver 1.65)
- To verify the RS-485 adapter installation, look for a new RS-485 COM port
in Window's device manager (click the "Run
Windows Device Manager" button in the RVM
communications options then double-click "ports"). Or, to run
the device manager manually:
for Win XP: click "start |
control panel | performance and maintenance | system | hardware | device manager".
Then double-click "ports".
for Win 95/98: click "start |
settings | control panel | system | hardware | device manager | ports
Typically, RS485 adapters
will be installed as COM4 or COM5.